Monday, September 17, 2007

Kickstand up for Tillamook Day 3

Day 3 September 10, 2007

Finally I have left the road gremlins behind and have a smooth day on the road. After 150 or so miles yesterday I try to cover a little more ground today. I spend about 8 hours on the road. It is still foggy and cool on the coast with a lot of drizzle along the way. I stop at a place where people view the wild elk that are in the area but I guess they must be at the Elks Club because I don't see any here.

Elk viewing area.














On the bridge over the Klamath River there are four gold bears two on each side of the bridge. I think it would be cool to get a picture of them but there is no place to stop on the bridge. As I continue on I notice two more bears on the side of a frontage road so I set my camera on a rock and get a picture of one of the bears and me (and the rock!).Just a short distance north of Klamath I stopped to visit some of the local celebrities.














I stop for lunch in Crescent City California for lunch. From there it is only a short drive to drive to the Oregon state line. Lots of trees and forests lining the road sides all the way up the coast. In places I noticed that behind a few rows of trees the forests have been clear cut by loggers. Its almost like the trees lining the road are a false front to hide the ugliness of the clear cut forests behind, kind of sad.

I ride through Coos Bay, it smells like new sawed wood, lots of big piles of wood chips around the water front. I noticed a lot of fishermen on the rivers fishing, for salmon I guess. There are lots of lakes and bays along the way and also some very beautiful bridges along the way. Just north of Coos bay is the Conde McCullough bridge. It looks like you are going through a cathedral as you drive over it.














This bridge is over the Rogue River at Gold Beach.
And this one is in Florence.














There are lots of nice ocean views along the way also.




























I found a room in the town of Florence.

I have dinner at the Hot Rod Grill a pretty cool place with lots of old car and 50's stuff inside. Some of the booths are in old car bodies like in the movie "Pulp Fiction". I hit the sack after dinner and get some rest for tomorrow.









259 miles.












No comments: