Saturday, September 15, 2007


Kickstand up for Tillamook

Day 1 Saturday September 8, 2007

After all the planning and dreaming about my trip it is finally time to go and guess what? I can't find the keys to my bike. I look and look and look but no luck so I decide to leave with my spare keys. I sure hope I don't lose them too.
I ride up Highway 1 through Santa Cruz and stopped north of there for a little break. I had a nice conversation about my bike and my trip with a surfer there. This beach is a great spot for surfing, wind surfing and surf kayaking. That looks like fun. I may try it someday, at least you don't have to stand up on a board to catch a wave.

Traffic through San Francisco was horrible. It took me over an hour to get through the city to the Golden Gate Bridge. I rode across it but I really couldn't enjoy the view that much, too much traffic and narrow lanes meant I had to pay full attention to the road ahead. The best way to see the view is by walking across the bridge but this time I just settled for a stop at the view point on the north end of the bridge. Most of the tourists here seem to be from outside the USA, I heard a number of different languages spoken. The Golden Gate Bridge is actually painted an orange color not gold, the name comes from the inlet from the Pacific Ocean to the bay.
First half of route 116 miles.
From the GG Bridge I continue north towards Sonoma and the Valley of the Moon. Finally the sun comes out and the ride is beautiful with rolling hills and vineyards. I jump over the hills to the Napa Valley at the town of Calistoga. This is the location of California's geyser named Old Faithful.






I continue on highway 128 to Cloverdale then continue on towards Boonville. I don't stop but it looks like an interesting place, kind of like in the movie Deliverance. I haven't brought my guitar so there is no point in stopping. Highway 128 is a great motorcycle road with plenty of nice curves and not to much traffic. When I get to the coast it is foggy again. All of the state campgrounds are full so I stay a a private camp at Caspar. It is pretty crummy and after I set up my camp I go into town to get something to eat. Later back a camp it is drizzling and very damp and drippy all night long.

Second half of route 174 miles.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just like to say how much I enjoyed your "Motorcycle Diaries".

Clark Ackerman said...

Thanks for taking the time to read it, have a good one.