Sunday, September 16, 2007

Kickstand up for Tillamook Day 2

Day 2 September 9, 2007

Campground at Caspar Beach.
















I woke up about 7 and fixed something to eat. I packed up and looked around the area a bit. The beaches around here are well know by Abalone fishermen. They put on wet suits and dive for the Abalones, a shellfish that clings to the rocks underwater. They are considered to be a great delicacy and are very expensive in restaurants.
Abalones are found on the rocks under the water.


















I took a ride up highway 1 to Fort Bragg and looked around the harbor a bit. it looks like fishing is the main industry around here.

Harbor at Fort Bragg.
I continue north on Highway 1 over another great motorcycle road but because the road is quite wet I am very cautious. I am still getting used to the extra weight of my bike with all my gear on board. It weighs about 600 pounds without me on board. As I continue up highway 1 the sun comes out and I stop to stretch and warm up a bit. A nice couple, Roy and Nancy from Ohio stop to stretch too and we visit for a while. They are in a rented car but they both ride bikes back home. I tell them to be sure to stop at the Samoa Cookhouse on their way north, more about that later. I make it to highway 101 at Legget. I decide to take the Avenue of the Giants a scenic alternative to highway 101. I am finally starting to relax and just enjoy the ride and not worry about getting anywhere in particular.

Rest area on the Avenue of the Giants.














I stop again to change my visor and while trying to turn around on some gravel I turn the handle bars to far while I am going slow and the bike goes over. I don't get hurt except for my pride. Try as I might I can not get my bike back on her feet. A guy pulls up in a Corvette and offers to help me and between the two of us we get her up. Turns out he is a rider too. The road Gremlins have struck twice in two days but hopefully I will lose them after today. I make a quick stop in the small town of Scotia one of the last company owned towns in the Pacific Northwest. It is a lumber town with 2 mills in operation. I stopped at a little park and took a few pictures of the old locomotive and donkey engine on display there.
This a picture of the towns history museum.

The Samoa Cookhouse.

I stay at the Motel 6 in Arcata and head over to Eureka for dinner at the Samoa Cookhouse. It is a real cookhouse that was used for many years by mill workers on Samoa Island near Eureka. Back in the 1960's it was opened up to the public. The mill is all gone now but the cookhouse remains.














The menu is pretty basic, you get what they are serving on that day served family style on long tables covered in red checked oil cloth. You get to visit with your neighbors as you eat. It just so happened that I talk with another couple from Ohio during dinner but not the same folks as I had talked to before on the road. After dinner I ride to the south end of Samoa Island then I turn around and head back to Arcata and my motel room to rest up for tomorrow.

Total miles 149.

No comments: