Sunday, April 20, 2008

A ride to motorcycle mecca

On Saturday April 12, 2008 the weather here on the coast was warm, dry and perfect for a motorcycle ride. I decided to ride up to a place called Alices Restaurant which is in the Santa Cruz Mountains at the intersection of highways 84 and 35. It is a Mecca for riders in this part of California. Here are some pictures of my ride:

My first stop was in the town of Santa Cruz where I saw some of the local characters





Here is a shot of the lighthouse and the world famous Steamers Lane surf break. Inside the lighthouse is a surfing museum.

I bought some lunch here on the wharf before riding up the coast.


After a short ride up the coast I took this shot of Natural Bridges State beach. This beach used to be famous for an arch in the rocks but this natural bridge fell down several years ago. The Monarch butterflies don't seem to mind though, they still spend their winters here.



I continued up the coast in until I reached the turn off for the town of Pescadero. The name of this town means "fisherman" in Spanish. After leaving the coast I start to climb into the mountains and the redwood trees. Here is a shot of a short rest I took on highway 84.


I continued up the hill and when I reached highway 35 I arrived at Alices. It is a restaurant that is a gathering place for motorcyclists. I saw all kinds of bikes there from Harleys to sport bikes. After checking out the bikes and visiting with a few people it was time to head south on 35 and then down the hill to home.

No comments: